Saturday, July 28, 2012

Book Thoughts: Scarlet

Title: Scarlet
Author: Stephen R. Lawhead
Series: King Raven #2

I enjoyed Scarlet a lot more than the first book in the series (and I enjoyed book one, to be sure). I thought the narrative style was a little weird at first; switching to an intermittent first-person narrator was a strange jump after the first book's third person. But once I adjusted to that, Will Scarlet is such a fun narrator.

I liked his voice, I liked that he seemed much more human than most of the other characters -- basically, the addition of Will Scarlet to the King Raven saga has done some very good things for the series.

Also, I think this book had a much more central and focused plot than the first book, which made it a lot easier to stay engaged. While the first one was very much setup for the rest of the series, this one had a cohesive plot - beginning, middle, and end - that could almost stand alone. I say almost because the ending leaves you wanting to know how it all concludes in book three, but the individual story of this book is wrapped up.


Very rarely do I enjoy the middle book in a trilogy more than the first book, but this is one of those rare cases. If you had a hard time with Hood, keep reading, because Scarlet is much better. And if you really loved Hood, I don't know what you're waiting for. Go read this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment