Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Thoughts: The Hobbit

Title: The Hobbit
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien

The first time I read The Hobbit, I was in... fifth grade I think? Maybe sixth? I was young. I loved it then because it was an adventure story and I loved the characters and I ate up anything to do with fantasy and adventures and elves and goblins and dwarves and all of that.

Rereading it as a college sophomore, I was still captivated by the adventure, but it meant so much more. I was processing it with a more adult mind, I was understanding things on a whole different level, I was appreciating the writing and the storytelling and not just the adventure of Mr. Bilbo Baggins -- but I still loved it. (Also, I like the writing style of this one way more than the actual LotR trilogy.)

It's hard to put into words what makes this such a fun story. Adventure, danger, dragons, dwarves, goblins, battles, yes; but also something about Bilbo's indignation about the whole thing and his reluctant but outstanding heroism. Bilbo Baggins is a character who makes me want to read more about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment