Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Thoughts: Hold Fast

Title: Hold Fast
Author: Blue Balliett

I had to read this after loving Balliett's Chasing Vermeer and its sequels. Hold Fast did not disappoint! Early is such a great character - a bright fifth-grader, struggling with some of her schoolwork maybe, but intent on reading and following patterns. The Pearl family is one of the best I've seen, the way they all love each other and care for each other. I could seriously read on and on about these characters. I want to be their best friend.

The mystery is brilliantly written, unfolded at exactly the right pace; I was able to predict some of it, but it didn't matter, because it was watching Early unravel the clues that was the true adventure. An engaging story, gritty and honest but accessible to young readers.

Also, WOW this book is eye-opening. Ms. Balliett holds nothing back in portraying the difficulties of living in a shelter and the struggles of dealing with the police when you're seen as "less than." Early and her family's strength in enduring their difficult situation touched my heart. Seriously, I just want to go help shelter families now. Ahhh this book. Read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment