Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Thoughts: Etiquette & Espionage

Title: Etiquette & Espionage
Author: Gail Carriger
Series: Finishing School #1

I have never seen steampunk, high society, espionage, and paranormalcy (vampires and werewolves, anybody) all combined before -- especially not so artfully. The writing style threw me for a loop at first and I'm still not sure how to pronounce half of the names, but the story is engaging and the world is well-crafted, if a bit strange, and what really kept me reading were the characters. They're just fun! Sophronia and her friends get up to some truly hilarious shenaniganry and I need a second book to see how all of this with the prototype turns out! Even though it's the first in a series, though, the story was pretty well-contained. I do hope book two contains more of Soap and Vieve - they're easily my favorite characters. E&E is a very quirky read that may take you some time to get into, but give it the benefit of the doubt, because once you do get into it, it's a couple hundred pages of great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment