Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book Thoughts: The House of Silk

Title: The House of Silk
Author: Anthony Horowitz
Series: Sherlock Holmes

I will confess that my excitement for a new Sherlock Holmes novel was spiked more by a love of the TV show Sherlock than for the original Arthur Conan Doyle canon, but if Horowitz pulled off anything like ACD, I'm going to have to go back and reinvest in the original stories.

This novel feels like something that could have been written at the same time as the rest of the Holmes canon. I've gotten so used to seeing Benedict Cumberbatch and Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock Holmes, so getting a more Conan-Doyle-esque persona was really cool. Sherlock Holmes and John Watson are such dynamic characters and I love finding different representations of them.

Characters aside, the story was awesome too. Action and adventure and, of course, mystery. Horowitz does an excellent job as a mystery writer, giving the readers enough clues to get the "oh, I should have seen it coming a mile away!" effect while wrapping the mystery well enough that you're turning pages trying to find out what happens.

Lots of fun! I recommend it to anyone who's a fan of mysteries or historical fiction or any reimagining of Sherlock Holmes.


(P.S. - If you haven't seen BBC's Sherlock, you should.)

No comments:

Post a Comment