Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book Thoughts: Every You, Every Me

Title: Every You, Every Me
Author: David Levithan

I read this one around New Years, so it's been several months, and the impression that it has on me is still incredible. I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I remember it being emotionally very intense.

Evan's going crazy missing his best friend Ariel. And he might actually be going crazy: he keeps finding photographs aimed at him. The photos are actually in the book, which is really cool -- it's neat being able to see what it is that Evan's seeing.

Stylistically, David Levithan has created an interesting novel. Not just with the pictures, but with the text. Evan strikes through the words he changes his mind about saying, which gives readers an unusual (and powerful) view of what's actually going on in Evan's head versus what he's trying to make himself believe.

The other thing that really struck me about EYEM was the emotion. Evan's struggling with his own emotional and social difficulties, but he's also pressuring himself to manage Ariel's increasingly unstable tendencies. It was really intense seeing the way his emotions related to Ariel's. There's really no other way that I can describe it: emotionally intense. I had to put it down a couple of times just to come back to myself before I got lost in it entirely.


But wow, guys. Definitely read this one if you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment