Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Thoughts: Les Miserables

Title: Les Miserables
Author: Victor Hugo

So, I read this one because I love the musical so much; I just had to see what it came from. I was not disappointed. There were definitely passages that dragged, to be sure. There was one bit where Hugo sidetracks for several chapters describing the entire history of the battle of Waterloo when only the last few paragraphs of that section are relevant to the plot, and there's another bit where he sidetracks for like four chapters about the nature of slang. The writing was every bit as beautiful in those passages, but when you really want to get on with the story, they're kind of frustrating.

Philosophically, though, Les Mis is a fascinating and brilliant novel, and the writing is beautiful, and I just love all of the characters so much. Also, the book didn't make me cry my eyes out like the movie did, so I'm not sure how to feel about that. While the writing is beautiful, it's hard to connect to the characters.

Long story short, I really loved the book but it's a long and intensive read so make sure you know what you're getting into when you start. Also, yes, I loved it, but I think I loved the musical even more. (Also, if any of you are curious: I hardcore ship Cosette/Marius either way, but in the movie I prefer Eponine to Cosette, where in the book I like Cosette better.)

No comments:

Post a Comment