Friday, July 13, 2012

Book Thoughts: The DeVouring

Title: The Devouring
Author: Simon Holt
Series: Devouring #1

Regina "Reggie" Halloway is a huge fan of horror stories. Stephen King to Edgar Allen Poe, she's read it all and she loves it all. So for Reggie and her best friend Aaron, the journal about the Vours is nothing unusual. They scare themselves with chilling stories of demonic beings who possess those who are most afraid on Sorry Night - the winter solstice - and then confront their own worst fears in a joking effort to tempt the Vours to them.

But the next day, Reggie's little brother Henry starts acting weird, pulling the hair off his favorite teddy bear, lying to their father, playing with fire and avoiding the snow. When Aaron looks into Henry's eyes and sees his darkest fears, Reggie and Aaron begin to suspect that the Vours may be all too real - and that one of them may be possessing Henry. The problem? The woman who wrote the journal didn't know how to get rid of them.

I'll admit it took me a little while to get into the story, but once I did, I did not want to put the book down. It was very very good, and I will definitely be looking for the sequel (SOULSTICE) at the library as soon as I get the chance. I would absolutely recommend THE DEVOURING - but if you tend to freak yourself out easily, be careful with it. I didn't think it was that bad on the "scary" scale, but then again, I don't scare easily, so I dunno. I really really enjoyed it and I think you should go read it. :) 


I do also think it would make for an excellent horror film. Not a slasher movie, because those are stupid and this is totally NOT like that. But a genuine scary movie that you wouldn't want to watch alone after dark? Oh yes. Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment