Friday, July 13, 2012

Book Thoughts: The Iron King

Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey #1

THE IRON KING is about Meghan Chase. On the day before her sixteenth birthday, she is thrust into the world of faerie when her four-year-old brother is replaced by a changeling. Meghan sets out to rescue Ethan, but she finds more than she bargained for in the faeryland, including a heritage she never knew she had.

Okay, so that summary was crap. But it's more than the back of the book told me, I had to discover the rest for myself, and you will too. You guys, it was awesome. Read it.


At first I was a little wary of another faerie story that was dropping names like Mab and Oberon and Titania and Puck. Something like this: "Really, you guys? Seelie and Unseelie Courts, changelings replacing children, and Puck as the merry prankster? What next, she's the faerie princess? I have heard this before." But then there were the Iron Fey. I'd never heard of those before. And the characters. Like Ash. And Puck. And Grimalkin. Oh my goodness, Grimalkin. Teehee. "I am a cat." Julie Kagawa does an excellent job of taking familiar mythology and twisting it to make it her own and mixing it with her own creations. Yes, there's stuff in here you'll recognize if you've read any faerie stories, but there's also stuff that's new and original. And great.

No comments:

Post a Comment