Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Book Thoughts: Anna and the French Kiss

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins

I read this looking for a quick, fun, light-hearted read, and I was not expecting the emotional intensity that I found.

This book is fantastic. Absolutely freaking fantastic.

Anna is at an international boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school. She misses her best friend and maybe-boyfriend back home, she misses the way she always thought her senior year would be, she misses home. But Paris has its draws -- including clever and charming (and taken) Etienne St. Clair.

I was expecting a cliched and cutesy story of girl-meets-foreign-boy. While it is definitely an adorable story of girl meeting foreign boy, it is not the cliched and cutesy read I was expecting. The characters seem so realistic and they have genuine emotional depth and I really love Anna as a narrator and it was so much fun to read about her. I cannot say enough good things about this book! St. Clair is awesome, Anna is a fantastic narrator and protagonist, the other cast of characters is fun too, and that's just the characters. The writing is brilliant, the story is engaging and endearing...

I was looking for something light-hearted and uplifting when I started Anna. I was worried for a little that there was going to be way more depth and genuine emotion than I was expecting but I could not stop reading. I was so engaged I'm pretty sure I actually cried at one point. But when I finished, I was able to put it down feeling the sense of lightheartedness I'd been looking for (and wishing for more adventures of Anna and St. Clair. Fortunately, they make a guest appearance in Lola and the Boy Next Door!).


I definitely recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment