Friday, July 27, 2012

Book Thoughts: Rage

Title: Rage
Author: Jackie Morse Kessler
Series: Riders of the Apocalypse #2

I liked this one so much more than the first book in the series. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first book, but I liked this one so much more. The characters seemed to have a whole new depth and Missy's internal struggle with War was just wow.

There were moments where I had to wonder whether high school students are really so cruel to each other -- peeing on her gym bag, really? My high school experience was vastly different and while there was bullying, it was much more subtle. Still, exaggerated situations aside, I felt like Missy's struggle was very real and portrayed beautifully. Ms. Kessler has a way with words.

Melissa Miller is such a great character. I loved that she was so involved with the soccer team; so many times, self-injurers in teen fiction are portrayed as having nothing at all except cutting, and Missy's not like that. She is more than a cutter, she's a person who cuts. And placing that in the fantastical context of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse made it that much easier to understand.


You don't have to read Hunger before this one (although that's the order they were written in); this one stands perfectly well on its own. But once you read this one, you'll want to read more of Ms. Kessler's writing. And if you weren't a fan of Hunger, read this one anyway. So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment