Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book Thoughts: John Belushi Is Dead

Title: John Belushi is Dead
Author: Kathy Charles

I won my copy of John Belushi is Dead from Goodreads First Reads. Thank you Simon & Schuster!

Ordinarily I'd begin by giving you a brief description of the plot of the novel, except the back cover does all that and more. In a sentence, though, John Belushi is Dead is the story of Hilda coming to terms with death. Her parents died in a car accident five years ago, and since then she has developed an obsession with Hollywood deaths. After all, if death comes for even the rich and famous, it must be something she can deal with. Then there's Benji, whose obsession with death is a lot more intense than her own.

If I say too much more about the plot, there wouldn't be a whole lot of point in reading the novel, because the summary from the book cover is pretty detailed. Instead, on to what I liked and didn't like:

I really liked the characters. Hilda, especially, was extremely well-developed and she just felt like a real person. Benji...I didn't like him, and he was a little overdone, but he was still well developed. When I say I didn't like him, I mean it in the sense that if he were a real person, I would be terrified of him and I definitely wouldn't like him. Hank, too, was a great character. And Jake. I love Jake, and I love the dynamic of his relationship with Hilda. It is so nice to see a novel where the female protagonist doesn't immediately think "oooh I'm in love!" and then start obsessing the first time she sees a cute guy. Their relationship developed in what I felt like was a genuine and excellently written way. And it wasn't knock-you-over-the-head romance, which was a very pleasant change. Romance was more of an undertone.

I didn't like the end. I won't tell you what it was, of course, but I didn't like it. I wasn't a fan of some of Hilda and Benji's interactions, either - they felt kind of forced in places. In all honesty, though, there wasn't a whole lot I didn't like about the writing and the characters in the book. My problem was with the subject matter.

Dead celebrities. Two teenagers who have an obsession with dead celebrities. Okay, fair enough, but I don't really want to hear all the gory, graphic details about all these celebrity suicides and murders. The attitude Benji especially had toward suicide (accidental or otherwise) as something to shrug off and/or glorify really bothered me. I'm not particularly squeamish and I love creepy stories, but I had some problems with the approach this novel took to death. It did get better by the second half, though.


Overall, I'd recommend this to anyone who likes Hollywood and is okay with some blood and guts. Not a good book for someone who has a problem with blood, definitely, and like I mentioned before, I got kind of bothered by the idea of glorifying death. Still, though, on the whole I think it was a good book and one that's worth your time if you're okay with the subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment