Friday, July 12, 2013

Book Thoughts: Crewel

Title: Crewel
Author: Gennifer Albin
Series: Crewel World #1

Adelice has spent her whole life training to hide her talent from the Guild, but they come for her anyway. She is to be a Spinster: someone who can weave the strands of time and space to regulate the entire world. But Adelice has an even deeper secret, and the Guild will do anything they can to make sure Adelice uses it for their will -- something she will do anything to stop.

This is seriously one of the coolest fictional worlds I've ever encountered. I'm a huge geek about world-building, and so this was like a gift from the story gods, because world-building is tied up in the plot. And as a lover of dystopian fiction as well, this was doubly right up my alley. Plus, feminism!

If I have to compare this to something else, I'd say it's The Handmaid's Tale meets The Matrix and the star is a female computer programmer. There's a bit of a love triangle that felt really unnecessary, but that was really the only weak point in the book for me. I love the characters, I LOVE the world and the premise, and I cannot wait to learn more about Arras when the second book is released.

No comments:

Post a Comment