Saturday, September 7, 2013

Book Thoughts: Siege and Storm

Title: Siege and Storm
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: Grisha #2
Beware spoilers for Shadow and Bone!

I found this one a little harder to get into than the first and I think I liked the first one more, but this is still an excellent book.

I really enjoy Leigh Bardugo's world-building, and I just LOVE the way she writes characters. Alina and Mal's relationship is beautiful and heartbreaking as it develops over their return to Os Alta, and Alina's hesitant friendship with Nikolai is one of my favorite things about this book (Nikolai, actually, is probably my favorite thing about this book. Love him). Even the minor characters worm their way into your heart, which makes the realities of war, unflinchingly addressed, that much more painful and honest.

I also really enjoyed watching Alina's struggle to come to terms with her power and become who she is meant to be. I love love love the story this series is telling and the characters it's telling it with, and I cannot WAIT for Ruin and Rising next spring.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I read the first book but haven't gotten to this one yet, but the more I hear about it, the faster it rises in my TBR. I look forward to reading about these great new characters, especially Nikolai.

    ReplyDelete