Saturday, September 21, 2013

Book Thoughts: The Savage Grace

Title: The Savage Grace
Author: Bree Despain
Series: Dark Divine #3

I was so excited to finally get to read this one, because I loved the first two and haven't been able to get my hands on this one until now. I was a little fuzzy on the details going into it, couldn't remember exactly how the last one had ended, but this one reminds you of the details without it reading like a summary, which is nice.

The writing in this fell a little flat -- not because the story was bad, but because it just felt like the book didn't get proofread very thoroughly before it was published. I kept finding little errors ("of" instead of "or," "your" instead of "you're," and "peek" was insistently spelled "peak" through the whole book) that kept pulling me out of the story. Probably wouldn't be a problem for someone who doesn't really care about grammar, but it put me on edge.

That said, I loved the story and the way the trilogy concludes. I mean, heartbreaking, yes -- but what story about demons and werewolves is going to be light and cheery? I thought the action made sense and I really enjoyed the story was resolved, and I'm going to stop talking right there because otherwise spoilers will happen. I'm glad it ended the way it did.

Also, can I just say -- she's a really minor character, but Grace's little sister Charity is pretty awesome.

Grace's struggle with the wolf is incredibly relatable for anyone who's ever been torn between anger and forgiveness, and even though Grace seems to have almost superhuman patience, I liked the hopeful note of the novel.

So, yeah -- I didn't adore this the way I did the first two books, but it's still definitely a series I'd recommend, with a well-handled ending and an awesome take on werewolf mythology.

No comments:

Post a Comment