Thursday, August 22, 2013

Book Thoughts: Starcrossed

Title: Starcrossed
Author: Josephine Angelini
Series: Starcrossed #1

I adore Greek mythology, so I really wanted to love this one. For the first couple of chapters, I thought I wasn't going to; aforementioned first couple of chapters were a bit jumpy, way heavy on the exposition, and Helen seemed way too unruffled by the unnaturalness of... well, herself.

I told myself I would give it to page fifty to see if it got better. Well before that, I was hooked. I ended up staying up until 12:30 (despite having to get up for an 8am class this morning) to finish it. And I need the second one.

STARCROSSED is about Helen Hamilton and destiny. Helen is a Scion, a descendent of one of the Greek gods. Yes, those Greek gods -- they're real, and the Fates are not about to make life easy for their children. As Helen learns the truth about who she is and what she can do, she also learns a much more upsetting truth: it may well be her destiny to rekindle the Trojan War.

The first couple chapters, like I said, were a little choppy and hard to get into, but once I was into it, I could NOT put it down. Like I said, I love Greek mythology, so seeing the way those stories were incorporated into Angelini's Nantucket was super cool. And I really appreciate that there is a completely rational explanation for why Helen doesn't know what she is at first. And, okay, I am in love with the entire Delos family. And Claire. And Jerry. I love Helen and Jerry's father-daughter relationship, I love the way the relationship develops between Helen and Lucas, I love Helen and Claire's friendship...

Promise yourself you'll give it the first three chapters. By the time you finish that, you'll be stuck. Fans of mythology and/or romance will definitely love this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment