Saturday, August 10, 2013

Book Thoughts: The Iron Knight

Title: The Iron Knight
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Iron Fey #4

*Spoiler warning for earlier books in the series*

I am SO, SO GLAD we got a book four. The series was originally going to be a trilogy, leaving Meghan as the Iron Queen but at the great cost of losing Ash. But because Julie Kagawa's editor is apparently as much of a Meghan/Ash shipper as I am, we got THE IRON KNIGHT.

Told from Ash's perspective, THE IRON KNIGHT is the tale of Ash's journey to the End of the World to find a way to be with Meghan. There will be costs, there will be trials he never dreamed of, but he is determined to do anything at all so he can be with Meghan... isn't he?

I simply adore Ash and Puck both, and Grimalkin... well, if you don't love Grimalkin, I do not understand you on some fundamental level. (That's only mostly a joke.) It was super cool getting to see Ash's point of view and to see the interplay between him and Puck without Meghan around. And I just LOVE the way the series incorporates so many familiar elements of fey lore with so much new stuff and other storytelling. I am a huge fan of the setting and the characters, so the seriously epic adventure is almost icing on the cake.

For some reason, I found this one a little bit slow getting into (can't tell you why, because I loved it), but once I was into it... well. I may have stayed up until three in the morning to finish it. And by "may have" I mean "totally did."

A wonderful conclusion to a wonderful series. I definitely recommend this series to anyone looking for a fun new twist on faerie tales (or simply a great romance or adventure) and I look forward to reading more from Julie Kagawa.

No comments:

Post a Comment