Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Back-to-School Books

As the summer winds down, many of us are heading back to school, which usually comes with reading assignments. Those of you in high school know all too well about this (who didn't wait too long to start their summer reading homework?), but college, especially as an English major, comes with reading too. I have Siege and Storm on my desk begging to be read, but I'm stuck reading for class instead.

I say "stuck." I'm not overly enjoying this particular class book (Kunzru's The Impressionist, but I've actually found some pretty good books through school assignments.

So here's my question to you: what's the best book you've read because of school that you wouldn't otherwise have read?

I'll start: WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Russian dystopia from the early 1900s, never would have even known about it except for a modernism class I took and loved it. Very mathematical in an artistic way, an some super interesting commentary of modernist Russia to boot.

How 'bout you? :)

1 comment:

  1. Tough one. I haven't read as many school books as you have since I'm a high schooler. But, if I had to choose I would say tie between Kite Runner and Lord of the Flies. I didn't particularly like either much, but they had some good lessons.

    -Mari @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete