Sunday, August 11, 2013

Book Thoughts: Everbound

Title: Everbound
Author: Brodi Ashton
Series: Everneath #2

*Warning! Spoilers for Everneath*

I am in love with this series.

In this second installment of the trilogy, Nikki sets out to rescue Jack from the Everneath -- but to do that, she's going to have to trust Cole, something she has sworn not to do. It won't be an easy journey, and it's going to take all Nikki has to get through it, if she can at all.

I just. I know finding your "forever" love in high school is unusual, but I simply adore the relationship between Jack and Nikki. I love the flashbacks where we get to see their life together before the Everneath, and I love how much faith Nikki has in him. I also really love the relationship between Nikki and Cole: it isn't quite love, but it's something real. I like that it's a love triangle without being a love triangle -- Nikki and Jack are in love, plain and simple; Nikki does not love Cole and she knows that, but he complicates things for other reasons.

I love Brodi Ashton's writing style. I adore her conception of the Underworld and the influence of mythology (because hey, I'm a mythology geek, and if you'll play to that, you're already well on your way to winning me over). I loved getting to explore more of the Everneath in this book.

And I love that there is no middle-book syndrome here! EVERBOUND is a complete story in and of itself, certainly reliant on the previous book but definitely NOT mere filler between the beginning and the end of the trilogy.

Oh, and the other thing I loved? The plot twist. I didn't see it coming, but I should have. Can't wait for book three!

No comments:

Post a Comment