Saturday, August 24, 2013

Book Thoughts: Breath

Title: Breath
Author: Jackie Morse Kessler
Series: Riders of the Apocalypse #4

I am just not quite sure how to feel about this book.

I like Xander; I thought he was better developed as a character than the previous protagonist, Billy. And I LOVED getting to spend time with Death as the protagonist. Seeing the character of Death develop was super cool and I love the way Kessler handled his backstory.

I also really enjoyed seeing the other Riders again. As a conclusion to the series, BREATH is absolutely what it needed to be.

I just didn't quite like Xander's story. Riley is never referred to by a pronoun, so it's always "Riley pushed Riley's hair behind Riley's ear" (that is NOT an actual quote, just a condensed example), and I didn't quite follow where the whole Baby Lex thing came from. The story with Riley made perfect sense in light of the plot twist, but Lex just didn't. And the twist just sort of felt like a cop-out, I dunno.

I think what I'm getting at is this: I love Xander's character and I liked his story (not his ending), but I thought the novel would have worked better had it focused solely on Death and the Riders without bringing Xander into it. But it's still definitely a worthy conclusion to the series and absolutely worth reading for Death's story.

No comments:

Post a Comment