Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Book Thoughts: Shades of Earth

Title: Shades of Earth
Author: Beth Revis
Series: Across the Universe #3

*Warning: Spoilers for previous books!*

Elder and Amy have left the spaceship behind and made for Centauri-Earth. Surely whatever danger awaits them is worth being able to see the open sky again -- and they'll be able to wake up Amy's parents and the rest of the frozens.

Life on the planet turns out to be more difficult than they expected, though. Orion's warnings about monsters prove more true than they could ever have imagined, and the mysteries surrounding Godspeed's failure to land on time are far from solved.

I loved this trilogy all the way through. The characters especially made me want to keep reading (although sometimes the first-person narrators were a tiny bit hard to distinguish) -- Amy and Elder of course, but the others as well. I enjoyed the pacing, the plot, the twists and turns, all of it. Without saying too much (I don't want to spoil it for anyone!), I also thought the stylistic choices made in the last few chapters were brilliant; I've loved the use of negative space (line breaks) for emotional effect through the whole series and I think it works especially well in the ending. And content-wise... some of it is not how I wanted the series to end, but I think all of it was exactly how the series needed to end.

A brilliant ending to a brilliant series, and a story all its own too. Two thumbs-up for this trilogy! I can't wait for whatever Beth Revis comes out with next!

No comments:

Post a Comment