Saturday, October 5, 2013

Book Thoughts: Crown of Midnight

Title: Crown of Midnight
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: Throne of Glass #2

Okay. Let's talk about how much I love this book.

First and foremost, I just really love Celaena. I LOVE that we can have a girl who's totally not afraid to kick some but when she needs to (and darn good at it too) but also really loves pretty dresses and her puppy and chocolate cake. I like that she's not perfect -- she's reckless and impulsive, she doesn't always think about consequences, she can't sing. But she tries to do what she thinks is right, and she's just. I love her.

And I l-o-v-e the character development we get with Dorian and Chaol. My shipper heart does not know what to DO with this beautiful book, but quite apart from the romance I just love the two main men. They make mistakes, and they learn from experience, and their individual relationships with Celaena as well as their relationships to each other are just beautiful.

I love the pacing, too. With so much going on it would be SO easy to just rush the details, but it felt like the book was exactly the right length: it accomplished what it needed to and gave every event the attention it deserved without dragging things out. I called the "big reveal" at the end of this one way early on, but I didn't care, because I wanted to see how the characters got there, and there was enough going on that I totally didn't predict that I was still on the edge of my seat.

I cannot WAIT for the next installment of this series. I just need to know how the characters are going to deal with the situation they find themselves in at the end of this book, and I just need to spend more time with them and in this world. I hope we get to find out more about the Fae and the way magic works in this world as the series progresses!

So yes. Definitely a worthy continuation of the Throne of Glass story, possibly even better than the first book (which doesn't happen a lot for me). If you haven't read these yet, get on it! Meanwhile, I shall eagerly await Book 3...

No comments:

Post a Comment